Norway Ice Climbing Guides
Norway is an Ice Climbers wet dream. Here you will find the worlds longest longest routes and aesthetic frozen waterfalls everywhere. Norway has been referred to as an Ice Climbers Mecca. Our guides have been guiding and setting up first ascents here for many years. There is nobody better to introduce you to vast opportunities of ice climbing in Norway then with one of our local IFMGA/UIAGM certified guides.
All of our Norway ice climbing programs are arranged on a custom basis and run by a UIAGM guide. We will consult you on the suitable itinerary for your skill level and desired climbing objectives. Our favorite areas are as follows:
• Rjukan – Telemark Region. This is the best location in Norway to find stable conditions and routes at all skill level from November – March. Rjukan in deep valley with over 150 established ice climbs all concentrated in a very small area and is easy to reach just 2.5 hr drive from Oslo. New this year Rjukan has one of the nicest Ice Parks where they “farming” fresh ice just 5 minute walk from our beautiful lodge the Climbinn. Classic single or multi-pitch routes range from easy WI 3 – WI 6 and all approaches are generally short and logistically easy. This is the place to start your Ice Climbing trip to Norway or get private instruction from one of local guides.
• Hemsedal – Buskerud Region. If you want to combine Ice Climbing and Skiing then Hemsedal is the best choice. Here you have plenty of classic routes and one of Norway’s better ski areas all in the same valley. Routes at all levels but not the plethora that can be found in other parts of Norway.
• Eidfjord – Hordaland Region – Eidfjord is considered a must visit location for ice climbers who want to explore new routes or just experience huge steep ice routes. It is a beautiful small village within the fantastic Hardangar Fjord. Our guides have been establishing beautiful new routes here the last few years. Here we can climb ice routes above the fjord and have access to long classic ice routes. If your an experienced ice climber Eidfjord is a trip of a lifetime.
• Northern Norway – Lofoten, Lyngen Alps, or Bodø. In Northern Norway there is ALLOT of ice climbing and tons of routes waiting to be established. The dark winter days north of the Polar Circle allows for climbing all winter but this area is best in late February – March when the light comes back and gives us long enough days to climb these routes without having to climb by headlamp.
• Hidden Gems – Secret Places. If your looking for a real adventure and want to climb some first ascents in Norway with one of our guides, this is the trip for you. We will climb and explore new areas and valleys where no one has ever swung an ice tool before. This trip requires special planning and a climber of good fitness able to follow WI 5 with a light pack. Contact us for more information.
• Comfortable accommodations – huts or hotels the entire time.
• Very light backpacks.
• Low client to guide ratio with UIAGM certified guides.
• Aesthetic ice routes in one of the world’s greatest ice climbing venues.
• Norwegian culture and excellent seafood.
Our Private Ice Guiding season books early, please contact us now for details and availability.
Price: Climber : Guide = $ per person per day.
1:1 = 3000 NOK
2:1 = 1600 NOK
3:1 = 1300 NOK
Dates: January – March
Trip Length: 1 – 10 days.
Skill Level: We cater our private ice program to climbers of all capabilities, from first timers on the ice too advanced climbers looking to climb long hard routes, Norway has allot of ice climbing for all skill levels.
Guiding Ratio: 3 clients:1 guide is our maximum ratio for beginner – intermediate courses/climbs. 2:1 ratios for more advanced objectives.
Included in Price:
- all guide fees and expenses.
Not Included in Price:
- personal climbing equipment, clothing, rental gear.
- transportation to/from climbing destination.
- food & alcoholic drinks.
- travel insurance